"This dish is huge in New Orleans and I am very excited to bring my version of this great dish to the table. Now with the Gumbo Fest going on in our local HEB across Houston, the Cooking Connection has a new BBQ Shrimp Mix in town that is free when you buy the Cookwell and Company Gumbo Mix," Chef Lee said.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- 3 pounds of Sea of Cortez Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay or Cajun Seasoning
- Cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 lemons, peeled and sectioned
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons HEB Worcestershire sauce
- 1 jar Cookwell and Company BBQ Shrimp Mix
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon HEB Kosher Salt
- 2 cups HEB Heavy Cream
- 2 tablespoons HEB Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives (Garnish)
1. Peel the shrimp, leaving only their tails attached. Reserve the shells and set aside. Sprinkle the shrimp with 1 tablespoon Old Bay or Cajun seasoning and fresh cracked pepper. Use your hands to coat the shrimp with the seasonings. Refrigerate the shrimp while you make the sauce base.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the reserved shrimp shells, the remaining Old Bay or Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, lemons, water Worcestershire, BBQ Shrimp Mix, wine, salt and cracked pepper. Stir well and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat, allow about 15 minutes for cool. Strain into a small saucepan. There should be about 1 1/2 cups.
4. Place over high heat, to bring to a boil, and cook until thick, about 10 minutes.
5. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the seasoned shrimp and sauté, shaking the skillet, about 2 minutes. Add the cream and all the BBQ Shrimp Sauce. Stir and simmer for about 3 minutes.
6. Remove the shrimp to a warm platter with tongs and whisk the butter into the sauce. Remove from the heat. Mound the shrimp in the center of the platter. Spoon the sauce over the shrimp and around the plate. Arrange southern biscuits or French baguette pieces around the shrimp. Garnish with chopped chives.
Copyright 2012 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.